Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kaiser is actively lobbying against AB 52, which will require health insurance companies to get state approval for rate increases.

Courage Campaign

This message is from Eennie Andrews, a 72-year-old Kaiser policyholder and Courage Campaign member who lives in the Central Valley. Eennie works as a caretaker for developmentally disabled people.



I don't have employer-provided health care coverage, so I buy my insurance myself from Kaiser Permanente. If my insurance rates were to increase greatly, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

That's why I'm concerned about Kaiser's decision to raiserates on 300,000 of its policyholders in California this year. And it's why I'm angry that Kaiser is actively lobbying against AB 52, which will require health insurance companies to get state approval for rate increases.

Tell Kaiser to put working Californians first and support AB 52.

Even though it's a "not-for-profit" company, Kaiser has made $5 billion in profits since 2009 and pays George Halvorson, its CEO, nearly $8 million a year.

On top of that, Kaiser executives are ignoring their own employees who are asking for adequate staffing levels at Kaiser facilities, and they're trying to cut benefits for caregivers.1

I signed this letter to Mr. Halvorson, asking him to support AB 52. This bill would give state regulators the authority to reject excessive and discriminatory rate increases.

Sign our petition to Kaiser execs to support real health care reform.

Kaiser has an opportunity to lead the industry by helping to reform health insurance in California, instead of raising rates on hundreds of thousands of us and lobbying to make sure they can do it again whenever they like.

Please join me in asking Mr. Halvorson and his team to stand for, not against, California.

Thank you for your help,

Eennie Andrews

No comments: