Sunday, August 12, 2012

This San Diego doctor accepts checks from drug company representatives

I had an interesting experience on July 24, 2012 when I drove a friend to the doctor.

The receptionist said the doctor doesn't accept checks, so my friend paid with a credit card.

Then I saw one of those drug company representatives walk through the door. If you don't know what I mean, then you might have a particularly ethical doctor. The representatives are young and good-looking. This one was a man in a suit with the posture as straight as a marine's. He strode in pulling his black case on wheels, and was immediately ushered inside.

In my experience, the representatives are more often very attractive young women.

As I was leaving, I noticed a check lying on the receptionist's desk. I saw it was for $30.00. Apparently the doctor does accept checks--from drug representatives. I assume he was being paid to listen to the agent.

The receptionist saw me looking at the check, and she grabbed it quickly, then she couldn't seem to think of any good place to hide it, so she set it back down.

Years ago I had a neighbor who was prescribed an off-label drug (meaning used for a condition for which it was not approved by the FDA) she didn't need. That doctor's office was crawling with representatives almost all the time. Both the drug company and the doctor got in trouble with the law.

I wonder if my friend's doctor will prescribe unnecessary drugs after his discussion with the drug company agent.

No comments: